Sunday, May 22, 2011

The things we do for our kids...



 We all do things for our kids that we probably never imagined doing before becoming a parent.  Here are just a few recent examples from around our house:

 Dennison was mowing the lawn and Carter kept telling him that he liked it long.  So Carter stood on this spot, right in the middle of the front yard, and said, "Don't cut this grass!"  So he didn't.  One long square of grass is a small price to pay for a happy little boy.

 Whenever Carter's in the hospital, he pretty much gets his way, um.... 100% of the time.  He wanted to pull Vienna around in the wagon.  So we did.  All the nurses thought it was the cutest thing ever.  It was pretty cute.

 What a man!  Vienna strapped on and pushing the stroller while the boys jumped in and out of it.  This was our day at the zoo.

 After eating Nacho Cheese Doritos or Cheetos, Jude does not want us to clean off his hands because he likes them to be "orange like a tiger".  Whatever.

When Carter's at the hospital, Jude has a hard time sleeping in his bedroom by himself.  I usually let him fall asleep in our bed and sometimes let him stay there all night.  He's not the best sleeping companion seeing as how he sleeps sideways, usually with his feet in my stomach.  But he's so cute and it makes him happy, so...
Ok, so this is the best one.  We've been talking with Carter about what he would really like to do that he's never done before.  He's eligible for a "wish" from the Make-A-Wish Foundation since he has a life-threatening illness.  He keeps telling us that he wants to swim with fishies.  We can't really think of any good way to go about something like that.  Since he's still so young, snorkeling or scuba diving is out of the question.  So this was our solution.  We have this pool that we set up in the back yard and then we went and bought 12 goldfish.  Funny side story:  As he and I were getting back in the car after purchasing said goldfish, Carter was holding the bag and it somehow came open on top and some water spilled out along with 4 fish.  I found 3 of them on the floor of the car and put them back in the water quick enough so they were ok.  I could NOT find the other one.  I searched and searched but it was no where.  I thought maybe the girl had miscounted while catching them for us.  So we started driving home and about half-way there, Carter tells me that he thinks there's a fish in his shoe.  I laugh and tell him it's probably just water and feels slippery like a fish (he was wearing crocks).  He insisted that it really was a fish and I just couldn't imagine that it could be.  A minute later, the bag slipped off of his lap onto the floor so I pulled over to retrieve it.  When I opened Carter's door, he had his shoe off and a dead fish in his hand.  Gross!  I could not believe that a fish had somehow landed in his shoe and he didn't notice until it was already dead.  We had a good laugh about it and then he threw it out his door.  He told me that it's ok if a car runs over it because the fish is already in heaven with his friends.
So anyway, back to the picture.  Right when we got home, he dumped the fish into the swimming pool with him.  He loved it for a couple minutes but the pool is so big that the fish were just hiding on the side.  So Carter decided that he wanted them back in the bag.  He grabbed the bag and a minute later he had scooped one back up!  I was so surprised that he caught one so fast!  He caught 6 of them and then I helped him catch the rest so they could all sleep in the house that night.  We played that game again the next day and now the 7 strongest of the bunch are on our dining room table in the biggest bowl I could find.

3 comments:

Walton's said...

Your such a GREAT mom!!!! Keep up the good work :)

JessWilson said...

I agree...you are such a great Mom!! ;)

all about the girls said...

Just catching up on your blog and this post made me laugh!!! Love those cute kids of yours!!!