So several of you faithful blog readers have requested more about my waterbirth experience. So here it is. My reasons for choosing to do a waterbirth were 1-It's a much smoother and easier transition for the baby into this crazy world. He's already used to being in water and the temp of the water is 98 degrees so it's much nicer than coming into the cool room temperature air. 2-The water softens your tissue so the chances of tearing are significantly reduced. 3-the water helps your contractions to be more productive and feel less painful. 4- Labor usually progresses faster once in the water. For more info go here.
**Warning** Birth story ahead, read on if desired.... I went to my midwife in the morning and found out that I was already dilated 6cm. I had been having pretty regular and strong-ish contractions since the week before when I thought I was in labor (thanks, Lindsay, for driving an hour to watch Carter at 3 in the morning even though I didn't have a baby until a week later!). So I was hoping those contractions were doing something but I wasn't expecting 6 cm! Anyways, my midwife was a little baffled as to why I wasn't in labor yet. So she told me to go home and if nothing was happening by 4:00 to just go check into the hospital and she would break my water. She was worried that if I went into labor on my own I might not make it to the hospital in time. So I went in that afternoon and I was having regular contractions about 2 or 3 minutes apart. I could feel them but they were nothing like how I remember them being when I was this far along with Carter. So she broke my water at 6:30 and I got into the tub. Within 15 minutes the contractions were stronger and closer together. They were still very managable and I'm conviced it's because of my hypnobirthing breathing and relaxation techniques and also because I was in the water. At about 7:15, I could feel the contractions change and I knew it was time for Jude to be born. Sidenote: I'm so glad I had a midwife this time! She gave me a few suggestions along the way but mostly just let me do my own thing. It made me feel so confident and in tune with my body. Although you might not believe me, the only time I really felt pain was when I was fully dilated and the contractions changed. Other than that, I felt a lot of pressure and stretching and whatnot, but I wouldn't describe it as painful. So my 9 lb 2 oz baby was born at 7:30. I still can't believe I had a 9 pounder!! Thanks to the water, I'm sure, there was no tearing or anything. Once he was born, she handed him right up to me and I held him in the water with his head our for a while. He didn't cry right away but he opened his eyes and looked around. They touched his back with a cool cloth to get him to cry when they were doing the apgar test. He was so alert and content. He loved hanging out in the water with me. He was mad when we finally got out. It was an amazing experience and I HIGHLY recommend waterbirths to anyone and everyone!
3 years ago
7 comments:
Please remind me of this next time I get prego. It sounds great and if babies get bigger every time I'll need all the help I can get (cameron was 9 lbs 2 oz as well)
Thanks for sharing your story, not to sound too nieve, but was Dennison still able to hold your hand and be close to you during a water bath? I'm a sucker for the hand holding.
Oh my gosh! You had him!! Congratulations! I can't believe you have two cute boys! That water-birthing thing sounds pretty interesting. And way to go on the 9 pounds. I hope life with two kids is treating you well!
I'm so jealous but also so happy for you that it went so well! :)
Wow, amazing! Thanks for sharing your story.
wow that is so awesome, i totally want to do something different with my next labor. i had such a bad experience anything would be better!
thanks for the story!
yes, Barb, Dennison was right next to me the whole time. There's no way I could go through it all without him close!
That is so super fast! ONE HOUR!!!!!! Thanks for sharing your experience. Maybe for my next baby I'll be in a place where this is offered. So cool Robin!
Post a Comment