Tuesday, January 20, 2009

advice needed

I'm in need of some advice on the transition from a crib to a toddler bed. Carter has mastered the art of climbing out of his crib. Luckily, he can't open doors yet so once he's out of bed he's still stuck in his room. It makes me nervous to think of him scaling the walls of his crib though. So last week we went out in search of a new crib (for Jude) and came home with a toddler bed for Carter instead. But ever since we set up the new bed and put it in his room, Carter has HATED it! If any of his things (blankets, stuffed animals, etc) are on it, he freaks out and pulls them off onto the floor. If we ever set him on it, he cries and struggles to get off as fast as possible. So last night, we switched his crib to a bed (took off the front panel and put on the little guard rail), hoping that would make the transition smoother. He was ok with that until he noticed the missing wall. He eventually fell asleep on the floor. I went in and moved him onto his bed before we went to bed. In the morning, he was asleep on the floor again right in front of the door. It's very sad. I don't understand why the floor is a better option than the bed...??? I just put him down for a nap and so far no crying but I hear him playing around in there. We'll see how it goes. Any advice on this subjust would be greatly appreciated!!!!

6 comments:

Jake Green said...

I have heard that shock collars work wonders ;) Just but the invisible fence around the new bed and you'll be golden.

Mer said...

Rather than attempting to put Caden into a toddler bed we just bought this tent thing that goes over the top of his crib. It's pretty much the most amazing invention in the world. Jack is still small enough that he sleeps in the pack n' play. We'll probably attempt the toddler bed in a couple months, but it will be hard (for us) because we LOVE the tent!

Lindsey said...

We've been going through this struggle with Brooklyn. She has been climbing out of her crib too. I don't feel like she is ready for a toddler bed yet, and am afraid to lock her in her room for fear she would destroy the room, or just play with all her toys and never sleep. She is already a stubborn napper. I didn't want to spend $50 (the cheapest I could find)on a crib tent. My solution was to turn her crib backwards, so the higher back is now in the front. She can't get out. It is a pain to get her in the crib, but well worth it. I'm nervous about the transition which will have to be soon. Let me know how it goes. I think you are doing all the right things so far. I'm sure he'll get used to it. I feel your pain!

Jessie said...

This can be a tricky transition...Jane did it quite well so I don't have a whole lot of advice for you on this matter...I guess we'll see how Maren does.

Good Luck!!!

The Original TomKat said...

No clue how to help here...just wanted to say that an office party is way overdue. Let's get to it!

Walton's said...

Hailey was ok with the transition. First we just had it in her room while she still slept in her crib. After a little while, we would have her sit on it while we read her stories before naptime and bedtime, she still slept in her crib. Then we had her take naps in her bed but sleep in her crib at night. Finally graduating her to sleeping only in her toddler bed. She never climbed out of her cib though, maybe it's a boy thing. We still have the twins in our room, but I wonder how she'll act when one of them is in her crib.